RESERVATION AND PAYMENT AND CANCELLATION TERMS AND RETURNS
If the prepayment (regardless of which channel is made) cost of the villa/apartment/apartment deposited to the account of HONOUR HOLIDAYS is less than 60 days before the start of the trip, the customer will not be refunded.
A) The prepayment sent for the reservation is refundable if it is up to 90 days before the start of the Trip.
B) The customer has the right to a 100% refund within the first 24 hours after the reservation is made. Valid on the date the reservation is confirmed.
C) If it is up to the 60th day before the start of the trip, the customer has to pay 35% of the total rental price.
D) If it happens between the 29th day before the start of the trip and the day of the start of the trip, or if the customer does not come at all, the customer has to pay 50% of the travel cost.
E) If it happens between the 14th day before the start of the trip and the day of the start of the trip, or if the customer does not come at all, the customer has to pay 100% of the travel cost.
In case the customer pays the entire price of the villa/apartment/apartment to HONOUR HOLIDAYS at his/her own request (with EFT or money order or in cash or by credit card in one withdrawal), cancellations made up to 30 days before the villa/apartment/apartment 35% (thirty-five percent) of the paid price will be burned. The remaining 65% (sixty-five percent) will be returned to the account number to be notified by the customer. Shipping costs will also be deducted from this money.
If the cancellation of the reservation takes place 29 days or less before the entrance to the villa/apartment/apartment, or if the villa/apartment/apartment is not checked in and/or there is no accommodation in the villa/apartment/apartment, the total travel fee paid will not be refunded to the customer.
The material damage that may arise due to the refund of payments made by credit card cannot be charged to HONOUR HOLIDAYS. This kind of material damage, commission fee, etc. Such loads are deducted from the money to be returned to the customer.
If, for any reason, the villa/apartment/apartment reservation is canceled by HONOUR HOLIDAYS, the customer will be notified as soon as possible. If there is an equivalent villa/apartment/apartment available on the same dates in our portfolio, it will be proposed to the customer. In cases where the customer does not approve and does not fall under the "force majeure" clause, the money received will be returned to the customer.
In addition, for some of our villas/apartments/apartments (specified on the villa/apartment/apartment website detail page), the entire deposit paid and these villas/apartments/apartments are special (specified on the villa/apartment/apartment website detail page; 30 days before the reservation date). For villas/apartments/apartments where the entire rental price has to be paid), the entire rental price of the villa/apartment/flats is collected from the customer. Even if you cancel the reservation, no fee will be refunded.
If the customer does not make the remaining payment on time, HONOUR HOLIDAYS reserves the right to cancel the reservation in question, not to refund the previously paid fee and to take another reservation for this villa/apartment/apartment.
Reservation cancellations can be made in writing (e.g. by e-mail or by registered letter with return receipt). Refund requests made via social media or WhatsApp are invalid. Reservation cancellations made by talking over the phone are definitely not valid. Reservation cancellations are valid from the moment the letter reaches HONOUR HOLIDAYS.
HONOUR HOLIDAY cannot be held responsible for not using the villa/apartment/apartment for a reason arising from the fault of the customer or the termination of the contract without duly written notification, provided that this contract is valid from the reservation confirmation with the explicit declaration of the parties.
All of the price shown in the contract becomes due on the agreed delivery date of the villa/apartment/apartment, and all legal rights of HONOUR HOLIDAYS in this regard are reserved. Fethiye Courts will be involved in any disputes.